top of page

Frederick Community College Foundation

To better acquaint our members and the greater community with our grantees, we will be highlighting some of the nonprofit organizations that we support. This quarter, we talked to Deborah Powell at the Frederick Community College Foundation.



Tell us a little about the mission of the Frederick Community College Foundation

The Frederick Community College Foundation, Inc. is a philanthropic network of advocates enriching the vitality and quality of life in our community by promoting access to higher education. In partnership with individuals, organizations, and businesses, the mission of the Frederick Community College Foundation is to remove barriers to a community college education and provide financial support so that all students can succeed and positively contribute to our community.


What are some of your goals for your organization for 2019?

  • Enhance student persistence, success, and completion through collaborative and effective support systems.

  • Enhance access, support, and opportunities that meet the needs of diverse and changing populations.

  • Increase access, affordability, and student goal completion.


You have received grants in the past from the Women’s Giving Circle, share with us some of the success you have had by receiving grants from us?

K.B. is a single mom of two children, ages 8 and 6. She had been working as a home health aide. She sought out the Allied Health Academy to become certified as a Sterile Processing Technician. She completed the course with the help of the FCC Continuing Education Foundation Scholarship (covering 75% of tuition and fees) and support from WGC for the remaining 25% of tuition and fees. She was recently hired by the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore as a sterile processing technician. She will be able to complete the 400 hours of hands-on experience required to become certified while working in her paid position. She has a full-time schedule with commensurate salary and benefits, and opportunity for advancement. They also offer a tuition remission program which she plans to utilize as she works toward completing a bachelor’s degree in Healthcare Management. Her long-term goal is to become a manager of a staff of sterile processing technicians at the medical center. She is very excited and shared that this training and being hired in this position are “life-changing” experiences. It would not have been possible without financial support through Women’s Giving Circle.


Kristin, who is in her second semester at FCC, is another success story. A pre-nursing student, she plans to transfer to a four-year school to study functional medicine after completing her degree at FCC. She is finally on the path that she had imagined for herself a decade ago, an accomplishment that bears even more significance considering the challenges she has faced along the way.

When Kristin was in the process of applying to nursing school nine years ago, her plans were suddenly put on hold when her seven-year-old son Gavin was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.




Gavin is now 16 years old and a cancer survivor, and Kristin, a mother of two boys, is back on track pursuing her educational and career goals. She is part of the Parents Lead program at FCC and the recipient of a scholarship that helped cover the cost of her classes and books. She was able to purchase a laptop with the money that was left over, which was an additional help considering her classes are mostly online.

Newly a single mom, Kristin was recently faced with another challenging situation when she had to move out of the home she had been renting. Without the help of a Student Success Fund grant she received, she would not have been able to afford to move into a new home while continuing to attend FCC.


“This Student Success grant helped me through a troubling time as a single mother,” said Kristin. “I was faced with a huge change and without this fund, I would not be able to soar into my academic future. For this I am forever grateful.”


Kristin is thankful for the support she has received and maintains a positive outlook when looking back on the challenges she has faced. “A series of life events led me to a better place in my life,” she said. “It was a blessing, really. Everything is falling into place. I will succeed, and I have this fund to thank for getting me over this unexpected hump.”


What opportunities to get involved are available to those who may want to get involved more with your organization this year?

Volunteers may be interested in being involved in assisting FCC students and alumni in their career development. For more information, contact Deborah Powell at dpowell@frederick.edu.

3 views

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


Commenting has been turned off.
bottom of page